No less than 41 folks have been killed and no less than 12 have been injured on Sunday after a hearth broke out at a church within the Egyptian metropolis of Giza as worshipers gathered for Sunday prayers. based on the nation’s Ministry of Well being.
Ministry of Inside of Egypt mentioned in an announcement that the fireplace on the Abu Sefein Church in Giza – one of many largest within the metropolis – was attributable to a defective air con unit on the second flooring of the constructing, which additionally housed lecture rooms. Father Mikhael Guirguis, the deputy head of the Archdiocese of Northern Giza, advised a church-affiliated TV station that he noticed youngsters among the many useless.
Many of the deaths and accidents resulted from smoke inhalation and a stampede as folks tried to flee the burning constructing, the Ministry of Well being mentioned:. The Egyptian Inside Ministry mentioned on Sunday that the fireplace was beneath management.
“I’m carefully following the developments of the tragic accident,” mentioned Mr Sisi. mentioned in an announcement on Twitter. “I’ve instructed all related authorities businesses and establishments to take all needed measures and to handle this accident and its penalties instantly.”
The nation’s chief prosecutor, Hamada el-Sawy, mentioned he had ordered an investigation within the hearth, one of many deadliest within the nation in recent times. In March 2021, a hearth at a clothes manufacturing facility close to Cairo killed no less than 20 folks.